News and Updates
- Mayank Periwal named to the Dean’s List for the Fall 2017 semester.
- Hwangbo Bae graduates with a BS degree in civil engineering from Virginia Tech.
- Jeanie Purchase’s poster earned 1st place at the VT Engage Poster ShowCase (April 2017)
- Cass Groen joins SRL as a post doctoral researcher (June 2017)
- Cass Groen successfully defends her dissertation entitled Advancing from Outsider to Insider: A Grounded Theory of Professional Identity Negotiation (March 2017)
- Jeannie Purchase accorded an Honorable Mention as a part of the 2017 National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program. This is considered a significant national academic achievement. Also she was selected as a Citizen Scholar for her Citizen Scholar Engagement Project titled “Flint Water Educational Outreach” by the dean of the VT graduate school, Dr. DePauw. She will be recognized in a ceremony to be held Monday, March 27, 2017 at 4pm.
- Members of SRL participate in graduate school’s Annual Research Symposium and Exposition on March 29th and Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering’s Research Day on March 31.
- Dr. Simmons gives two invited presentations to faculty and students at University of Colorado-Boulder. The two presentations were titled: Interdisciplinary Research: Methods and Theories to Investigate Construction Workforce Challenges and Investigating the Nature and Development of Expertise in Construction Engineering. (March 2017)
- James T Martin, SRL alumni and senior majoring in CEM, publishes his first journal manuscript: https://t.co/d20xj3xrYI (March 2017). This is the first journal manuscript published in the SRL with an undergraduate student as the lead author. Congratulations also goes to Jeremy Brenner, James’ mentor and co-author on the manuscript. James is due to graduate in May 2017.
- Dhruv Desai joined SRL to investigate to evaluate Succession Planning in Construction Industry (January 2017)
- Nikunj Solanki joined SRL to investigate the concept of leadership development (January 2017)
- Amy Hermundstad joined SRL to investigate the structure of learning learning communities (January 2017)
- Mayank Periwal Joined SRL as an undergraduate researcher to examine leadership development in construction industry (January 2017)
- SRL received $100,000 to support undergraduate research “Resilience and work-life balance of construction students and professional life” (NOV 2016)
- SRL received $30,000 to study measures of quality in Civil Engineering education (DEC 2016)
- Dr. Simmons was named 2017 Institute for Society, Culture and Environment (ISCE) scholar (DEC 2016)
- SRL Launched new partnership with new LISA lab director and Dr Michelle Turner (RMIT) (October 2016)
- Jaeo Han received the Clyde Y Kramer Award for outstanding service. (May)
- New facilities, programs, and partnerships will enable Virginia Tech to lead the nation in intelligent infrastructure. (May)
- Jaeo Han graduated from Virginia Tech with a bachelor of science degree in statistics and a secondary major in mathematics. (May)
- Dr. Denise R. Simmons will participate in the CRC 2016 Prospective and Junior / Underrepresented Minorities and Women Faculty Panel Chair. (May)
- Jeannie Purchase became certified as an LEED Green Associate. (April)
- Dr. Denise R. Simmons won the Black Graduate Student Organization’s Lisa Tabor Award for Community Service. (April)
- Jeannie Purchase earned the Via Fellowship, the premier award in the Via Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) at Virginia Tech. (April)
- Jeremy Brenner joined the Simmons Research Lab as an undergraduate researcher to investigate the conceptions of leadership development among
- undergraduate students majoring in construction (March)
- Dr. Denise R. Simmons was awarded with the College of Engineering Dean’s Award for Outstanding New Assistant Professor. (March)
- Dr. Denise R. Simmons was awarded with the Engineering Sustainability Travel Award.
- Dr. Denise R. Simmons was awarded with the National Society of Black Engineers Travel Award.
- Dr. Denise R. Simmons became a Faculty Fellow for Frontiers in Education.
- Dr. Denise R. Simmons became a Younger Leaders Fellow for the Civil Engineering Division of ASEE.